The mall in December is one of the most overwhelming places-overrun with people, sales, and copious amounts of stuffff. If you’re anything like us, you suffer from gifting paralysis if you don’t have some kind of plan of attack when looking at your shopping list. Gift-giving is one of my favorite parts of the holiday season and an opportunity to give someone something that they wouldn’t necessarily buy for themselves. The gifts that I’ve appreciated most are those that are thoughtful, unique, or have value to the person giving them to me.
Here at Lavender Daydreaming, we love supporting small businesses and local artists, especially ones that give back in some way. Today, we’re sharing 6 great places to shop small if you’re looking for some alternatives this holiday season. We even have a promo code or two exclusively for you all, our lovely readers!
- MAME Soy Candles I was introduced to MAME, a local Phoenix business, at a Phoenix Flea a while back and have loved their candles ever since. These candles are quality hand-poured soy candles that last hours and hours and burn just as fragrantly as they smell, throughout the entire room! I’m still working on my #3 Blood Orange and Grapefruit candle and enjoying it as I write this post. They currently have some unique seasonal scents like cinnamon, clove, firewood and salted caramel, perfect for gifting! Plus, each one has a different inspirational quote or message on the label! We’re so excited to have teamed up with MAME to offer you 15% off your order. Just use the code LAVDAY at checkout for the discount, active now through Sunday.
- Yarning for Joy One of our good friends Julia started her own little scarf shop on Etsy featuring these lovely handmade, one-of-a-kind scarves. Send your friend some extra love that she can bundle up in! Yarning for Joy is ALSO running a promotion for you all-enter LAVDAY at checkout for free shipping! (Shoutout to Julia for the lovely scarves, Clare is rocking one below!)
- Littlelow: For the girl that loves art, this Etsy shop has several really pretty floral prints that are specific to regions of the U.S.. Have a friend who is a proud Midwesterner or Southern Belle? Buy her the print that will remind her of her roots.
- Be Bona Fide: If you haven’t read about our love for the Be Bona Fide movement, go check out our previous post here. Okay, now that you know all about how awesome they are, support and share the movement with this super comfy Be Bonafide tee or this unique Shine from Within necklace, and be sure to follow along their blog posts about ways we can all practice shining from within.
- The Shine Project: Speaking of shining, another one of our favorite shops that we featured on our Instagram before is The Shine Project. We love love love their bracelets-each of which is handmade by an aspiring first generation college student and supports them financially as they pursue their degree. What’s not to love? Sign up for their email list now for Black Friday discounts up to 50% off.
- Sack Cloth and Ashes: For the homebody in your life, consider a special blanket from Sack Cloth and Ashes, a company selling fair-trade blankets based on the one-for-one model. For each one purchased, they will donate one blanket to a local homeless shelter. Read more about what inspired their business model here. This forest fleece looks oh-so comfy!
We’d love to hear from you! What are your favorite small businesses, artists or Etsy shops to support? Are there other great one-for-one shops we should know about? Let us know in the comments, and happy gifting!